Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Nothing Short of Thankful...

Today, it feels like Thanksgiving here, which is funny because that isn't even a holiday in this part of the world. But first off, I am unusually aware of how much I have to be thankful for. My mom is in town visiting, and while its undoubtedly fun to have her here and introduce her to my students and my school, it makes me stop and think. I have a lot to be thankful for. I am thankful that my mom is able to fly across the world to come visit. I am thankful that its a fun blessing to have her here, not a stressful event. I am thankful for my fall break, which begins today and lasts the next two and a half weeks. I am thankful for friends, near and far, that technology allows me to stay in touch with.
My mom and I on the porch of the dragon school! Look at that fall foliage behind us...

Another reason today reminded me of thanksgiving was the food. My mom brought pumpkin from the states, so we made pumpkin muffins for breakfast with the little dragons (a wonderful taste of home for me!). Katha, my co-worker, made pumpkin soup and homemade apple sauce for lunch. Both meals were delicious, with the distinct taste of fall. We also enjoyed a warm cup of hot chocolate at my favorite cafe in town!

Lastly, it feels like Thanksgiving outside. While yesterday was uncharacteristically warm, today was cold and cloudy, with colored trees scattered in every direction. There are pumpkins set out on many doorsteps, fall flowers in the window boxes, and the kids even made paper fall decorations the other day. I am thankful, even though I am dreading the cold, for the change of seasons and the cool breeze that is blowing these days.

I am thankful for my life here in Germany, though it has been both a fun and hard adjustment, it really made me appreciate all the people I have gotten to know and the places I have learned when I was able to show it all to my mom. I know its so easy to get caught up in the stress of life and never stop to appreciate all the blessings...but today I am very glad for the opportunity to stop and be thankful.

And, as if this weren't enough, tomorrow we are heading to Italy (and then I go on to Turkey!). I am very excited about these adventures...

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment